Facebook’s Subscriptions Groups Will Allow You To Charge For Exclusive Content
Facebook has begun testing “Subscription Groups” that will allow creators to charge for exclusive content. Admins have been asking for this for some time, and it looks like Facebook is responding in a pretty big way. “We hear from group admins that they’re looking for ways to help them earn money to deepen engagement with their members and continue to support their communities,” writes Alex Deve, Groups Project Director at Facebook. “Subscription groups were created to make it easier for admins to provide these experiences with built-in tools, and to save them time so they can focus on offering members-only content.”
- Group Admins will be able to charge $4.99 to $29.99 per month for access to special sub-Groups full of exclusive posts.
- While Facebook will initially not take a cut of this subscription fee, it will bill through iOS and Android, and those operating systems will get 30% of the subscription fee for the first year and 15% after.
- With over 1 Billion users utilizing the Groups feature, it could be a way for Facebook to finally monetize groups.
- This subscription groups pilot is testing with a small number of groups across a range of interests who will share input and feedback along the way.
- This can’t be emphasized enough: this is great news for content creators who invest time and effort in producing content that is useful to their groups.
John is a writer with an interest in healthcare and SEO. In his spare time, he enjoys basketball and memes and spending time with his family.